Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cuncussion

After returning from Palm Springs and San Diego Thursday night, I hopped back on my bike to ride to work Friday morning. However the weather in Edmonton had warmed significantly and snow had melted slightly then refrozen. I managed to ride the 3.5 km on ice with no issues. I'd like to think I have decently good riding skills. However about 3 meters from my bike lock-up I went down... hard, on a cement plaza... hard. Did I mention I went down hard? Right. Cracked my helmet, but didn't black out. Went to work, things were a little fuzzy but that is normal before coffee ;-)
I had a bad headache and the dizziness continued for the day. I work in medicine so when I told my boss I was still dizzy and couldn't concentrate very well I ended up in Emergency at the hospital... though I did get expedited through to my CT scan. Which was cool... it's as space ship like as 1st class on Air Canada trans-oceanic flights.
Turns out now hemorrhaging in my brain, which is good, but I have a decent concussion.
I threw my helmet away... which was kind of sad, it had done so much riding with me. But now I get to buy a new one.
Downside to all of this (apart from the injury itself) is that my wife has told me I can't ride for the month of February! Come on! I mean, yes the neurologist said I better not smack my noggen again for at least 4 weeks, but no riding? Not cool. I'm sure I'll get over it and be riding soon though.

No comments: